Dying ugg boots is not a rare practice; you may want to dye them for various reasons – whether it’s to rejuvenate them into their original shade or to spruce them up with a new color.
But not everyone is familiar with the proper technique to dye them. And if you are one of those people, then you have come to the right place because I have drafted a tell-all about dying uggs.
So, how do you dye ugg boots?
Dying them is not simple – and the purpose, color, and transition that you desire are important factors to be taken into account.
Without further ado, let me tell you all about Ugg Boots and dying them.
Can You Dye Your Ugg Boots?
Yes, you can dye your ugg boots.
Ugg boots are made of A-grade sheepskin, and sheepskin can be dyed.
But to dye them effectively, you must follow specific steps. And the steps depend on the dying purpose.
If you are restoring the original color to bring your uggs back to life, then you have to follow certain steps.
But if you are dying them a completely different color, then the steps to be followed are much different.
This is because when dying them to get a new color, you have to let them soak in the dye for quite some time, unlike when dying them to restore the original shade.
One thing you must keep in mind is that if you want to dye your uggs in a different color, the uggs must be in lighter shades such as white or beige because then they will pick up the color that you want.
On the other hand, darker ugg boots can only be dyed to achieve much darker shades such as maroon, brown, blue, or black.
You may also like to read: Do Koolaburra Uggs Run Big
How To Dye Your Ugg Boots
Now that you know uggs can be dyed – let’s find out the right way to dye them.
As you already know, the dying process depends on the purpose of dying them. So, what are the possible reasons for dying ugg boots, and how do you carry out the dying process?
Follow the instructions below to achieve the best results from dying your ugg boots.
Follow our guide on how to Clean Black Uggs
How To Restore The Color Of Your Ugg Boots
Since they are made of sheepskin, ugg boots can get faded, stained, or really dirty over time. As a result, over time, they lose their charm and become unusable.
To fix this problem and get rid of the discoloration, you can dye them back to their original color, rejuvenating the uggs.
In order to restore the color of your ugg boots, you need to carry out the following steps:
- Using a soft bristle brush, dust off any loose particles from all over your ugg boots. This includes getting rid of any debris from the exterior of your boots as well as making the fiber of the ugg stand out so that it can soak as much dye as possible.
- This step is optional, and you need to carry this out if your uggs are extremely dirty.
Using a cloth soaked in warm water, wipe your ugg boots.
Check out our separate post: Do Uggs Make Your Feet Sweat
Then take one part cleaner and 10 parts water, soak the cloth in it and wipe over your ugg boots again.
Stuff newspaper inside the cleaned boots and let them air dry before moving to the next step.
- Using masking tape, cover the outsole of your uggs and any logos present on the boots. This will prevent those parts from getting stained by the dye.
- Crumble up a bunch of newspapers, forming paper balls with them. Stuff your ugg boots with the newspaper stuffings.
This will prevent the dye mixture from getting in contact with the interior of the boots and maintain the shape of the boots while you dye them, making the process easier and you’ll be able to apply the dye in even layers over the uggs.
Check out our epic guide to know Can You Wear Uggs In The Snow
- Next, take the dye and dilute it if needed. You can use water and a small amount of conditioner if needed.
- Using an applicator or a sponge, apply an even layer of the solution all over your ugg boots, ensuring that you have covered all exposed areas. Starting with the broader parts and then moving on to the nooks and crannies.
Make sure you take things slow and handle the uggs with care, going in circular motions with the sponge or applicator to ensure that the dye gets soaked into the bristles.
- Finally, let the uggs air dry overnight and wait for at least 24 hours before you try them to make sure that the boots have dried completely.
- If needed, repeat the application process to achieve the color that you want.
Read more on How To Shrink Uggs
How To Dye Ugg Boots A Brand New Color
Since ugg boots are made of sheepskin, they take up color pretty easily. However, if you want a brand new color, it will only be possible for lighter shades of uggs.
To dye them a new shade, the steps are different than dying them the same color. The steps you’ll need to follow are stated below:
- Take the dye of choice and dissolve the powder dye in two cups of hot water.
- Fill a bucket with hot water and pour the dye solution into it.
- Next, fully soak your ugg boots in water to ensure that the dye is absorbed fully.
- Once the boots have been soaked, submerge them into the bucket containing the water-dye solution fully. Do this to each boot individually in separate buckets or one at a time in the same bucket for optimum results.
- Leave the boots submerged in the dye solution for 30 minutes and stir the water surrounding them to facilitate the dying process.
- Once they are out of the water, rinse them using warm water until it starts to run clear.
- Next, run the boots in cold water.
- Finally, allow the boots to air dry for at least 24 hours before trying them on.
Follow our guide on How To Wash Uggs In Washing Machine
How Do You Protect The Newly Dyed Ugg Boots?
Now that you know the steps to dye your ugg boots depending on the requirements, next comes a critical step: maintaining the dye.
To maintain the dye and protect the newly dyed ugg boots I have a few tips for you that you must follow.
Here are the steps to protect newly dyed ugg boots:
- Use a waterproofing spray to make your uggs waterproof and protect the dye from rinsing off.
- To keep your uggs in the best condition, you’ll have to clean them from time to time. While cleaning them, make sure to use as little water as possible. Instead, opt for soft bristle brushes to remove any loose debris from the uggs periodically.
- To ensure that the dye lasts as long as possible, refrain from wearing your newly dyed ugg boots in wet conditions. If you wear them in wet surroundings, you’ll risk getting them dirty as well as wet – both are things that you must avoid to protect the dye.
- Finally, how you store your uggs is also important. To prevent discoloration and formation of creases you should store them inside drawstring bags. However, this might cause them to bend, so use boot trees inside your uggs to keep them upright.
Also, follow our epic guide on How To Remove Mold From Ugg Boots
Dying your uggs may seem a bit complicated, but if you carry out the right steps using the right tools, you’ll achieve your desired results for sure.
Take your time and patience when sying your ugg boots, and make sure you protect the newly dyed boots afterward.
I hope this article has been helpful for you. If you have any queries or feedback, please let me know in the comments below.