I bet no other shoes can beat the versatility and beauty of a pair of dress shoes. Hands down, dress shoes are the master of all formal shoes.
You have to pay a hefty amount to buy these posh dress shoes. Now you can ask me if I am spending a handsome amount, how long will the dress shoes last?
Well, it depends on the quality of the shoes. The better the quality, the pricier they are, and the more they last.
To give you a better understanding of dress shoes’ longevity, I have explained all the possible details in this article, which will help you get an idea about a pair of dress shoes’ lifespan.
So let’s hop into the writing.
Follow our guide to know how to Prevent Acrylic Paint From Cracking On Shoes
How Long Should Dress Shoes Last?
Being a shoe expert, the most common question I have been asked is how long should dress shoes last?
A pair of dress shoes can last up to 2-10 years approximately. However, this period totally depends upon how you treat the shoes. A well-maintained dress shoe can last even more than ten years, whereas if not taken care of properly, then the shoes will hardly last for two years, irrespective of how quality-full or pricey they are.
As it is said, the better the quality, the pricer it will be. Apart from maintenance, the lasting period of the dress shoes depends upon its price.
Additionally, there are many other reasons which decide how long your dress shoes will last. For instance:
- How frequently you wear the shoes.
- How long you walk while wearing the shoes.
- How often you clean and polish the shoes.
- What type of surface you walk on.
- Did the shoes come in contact with rain?
- The brand of shoe you wear.
- What your shoe material is.
These are some of the many factors which determine the lifetime of the dress shoes. Apart from this, if you accidentally bump your dress shoe into a sharp object, it will indeed puncture the shoes, and they will be of no use anymore.
So keeping all these factors aside, I have tried to include the natural lifespan of different types of leather dress shoes so that you get an idea of how well and long the shoes last.
Below, I have explained the lifespan of leather dress shoes according to several price ranges:
Dress shoes less than $150
All I can say is, below $150, you will get lousy quality leather dress shoes. The manufacturers claim they are made from leather at this price, but the fact is less than $150 dress shoes are not even made from genuine leather. Vey low-grade material is used, and the shoes will break down very shortly. You can hardly use these shoes for six months, and after that, they will look awful.
$150 is not a small amount, but you can’t expect your dress shoes to be of good quality at this price.
In a hurry? Check out my new post on Clean White Mesh Shoes
Dress shoes between $150-$250
Still, I can’t assure you about the quality at the price range of $150-$250. You can either get bad overpriced shoes or satisfactory standard shoes.
However, the shoes can be made of genuine leather at this range but don’t look for good quality full-grain leather.
If you wear these dress shoes with utmost protection against water and take proper care, then the shoes can last up to 6 months to a year. Additionally, if you buy shoes from a top-notch brand, then your dress shoes can even last up to 1 year to two years.
But make sure you do a lot of research while buying dress shoes at $150-$250; if you are lucky enough, you might get a good pair of shoes.
Dress shoes between $250-$450
At this range, you can expect good-quality leather dress shoes. The shoes are made from genuine leather, which makes them very sturdy and has more lasting power.
The upper leather is of top-notch quality, which makes them more durable and also breathable. As the breathability is higher, your feet will sweat less, which will result in the inner lining lasting for a more extended period.
Moreover, the shoes are Blake stitched and not cemented, which makes the shoes even more hardwearing. The shoe soles are made of leather which decreases the shoes from wearing out and increases their longevity.
These dress shoes can last up to 1 year to 5 years roughly. However, if you wear the shoes daily, then all I can say is the sole will wear out within a year.
Do check our latest post on the how to Clean Velvet Shoe
Dress shoes more than $500
$500 is a vast amount, and at this price, you will not get ordinary shoes other than designer or branded shoes.
If you buy a Louis Vuitton or Hugo Boss between $250-$500, your dress shoes can last between 2 to 10 years only if you treat them right.
Personally, I wouldn’t spend $500 only on a pair of shoes which ultimately will tear or lose their charm. But if you are into designer brands then surely give them a try, you won’t be disappointed.
Follow our guide to know how Should Your Basketball Shoes Fit
How To Maintain The Dress Shoes To Ensure Longevity
Proper care makes everything better. The same goes for dress shoes, if you take care and adequately maintain the shoes, it will not deteriorate the shoe quality, and most importantly, it will not make your money go in vain.
So let’s talk about the things that you should do to ensure the longevity of dress shoes:
- Polish the shoes: It is mandatory to polish your dress shoes if you want an increased lifespan. Polish shoes not only make them shine but also repair any damage that your shoes undergo from frequent wear. Polishing shoes make them nourished by keeping their moisture intact and have a big hand in making the shoes long-lasting. Buy a good quality shoe polish from a shoe store according to your shoe type. And if you are not aware of what material is used in your dress shoes, then take help from the experts; they will give you an accurate polish.
Check out our separate post on Adidas Shoes Fitting Guide
- Use a shoe stretcher: The shoes must hold their shape to make them last for a long time. And the best way of doing it is using a shoe stretcher. Use a Cedar shoe tree inside your dress shoes; it will prevent cracking, absorb any harmful moisture and prolong the life of shoes. Additionally, the cedar’s aromatic and fresh scent will act as a deodorizer for your shoes.
- Use water repellent: Water repellent plays a significant role in extending the life of dress shoes. Most shoes become unusable when they come in contact with water. But applying water repellent makes sure the extra water doesn’t damage the elasticity of the leather.
- Clean the shoes: One of the big reasons for shoes tearing or cracking is lack of cleaning. Regular cleaning is essential to make the shoes look new and long-lasting.
Cleaning regularly prevents the build-up of dirt and mud on the shoes. After every wears, brush your shoes with a horsehair brush and wipe them off with a damp cloth. Trust me; if your shoes remain clean, it increases their lifetime to a great extent.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you know dress shoes are worn out?
Take off your shoes and put them side by side on level ground. Now check if there is a noticeable slant to the shoe soles at the heels. If you see the shoes are tilted, then you have to understand that your shoes have worn out.
Can you wear the same pair of dress shoes every day?
You can wear the dress shoes every day, but this will not make the shoes last longer. Because when feet sweat, leather soaks up the moisture and giving them enough time to dry doesn’t affect the shoe material. But if you wear the same pair daily, then they don’t get ample time for drying and ultimately the shoe tears or cracks.
But before that, go through our epic guide how to Clean The Soles of Dance Shoes
I know dress shoes are a bit pricey, but you can wear them for more than a decade with proper care and maintenance. I would suggest investing in good quality dress shoes, treating them right, and your shoes will have a prolonged life.
I hope this article answers all your questions regarding dress shoes; if you have any queries, please write your opinion in the comment section.